Thursday, August 22, 2013

Frankfort and Menistee Harbors


Frankfort Lighthouse

 

 

 Manistee  Bat House  (old fisherman's house)

 

Lori is taking a break from the blog so I will give it a go today.

Although island life on the anchor was great we were very ready for hot showers and shore power. While on South Manitou Island Lori enjoyed the light house tour and museum, I had a different view of the local attractions.  While cruising the coast in the dingy I passed a boat with two young couples drinking and partying.  As I got closer one of the ladies jumped up and took her bikini off and started dancing holding her beer high. I saluted her with a toast with my beer and her friends cheered. I then motored on trying not to look back.  Sorry no pictures!!

 The crossing to Frankfort was just a little bumpy with light wind.  We stayed at the Municipal Marina right downtown.  I had trouble with my back because our bed is extremely soft. Lori found an Ace Hardware store with plywood, so I walked there and and carried back a 3/8” piece of plywood to the boat (sure miss my truck). The plywood has worked wonders stiffning the bed and my back is doing great again.

 Lori shopped and went for a bike ride and we went to dinner overlooking the bay at the local harbor marina bar and grill.

We both drank from the Fountain of Youth.  Lori is looking younger, but I'm not sure about myself.

Tuesday morning we bought diesel fuel (111 gals at $3.81) and headed south to Menistee.  Menistee is a little bigger than Frankfort and even though we were stuck there due to weather we rode bikes around town, saw a band play on the beach


and did a little bar hopping.  The local bus driver gave us a little tour of the town.

Menistee was once a very successful fishing port, then a logging town and now is the Home of Morton Salt.

 

 

Life Boat in Menistee ( not for 40 people from our family!)

Its Thursday morning and after holing up in Menistee, MI for two days (due to weather); we have calm weather forecasted and we are heading 20 miles south to Ludington.


No comments:

Post a Comment