Sunday, July 28, 2013


First Real Day

This was our first real day leaving the dock, crossing the straits of Mackinaw (know for always being rough) to Mackinac Island and docking the boat in a slip.

But wait half way across the  7 mile channel the seas increased to 4 foot with 20 kt winds.

The boat handle the rough seas with no problem, however how the heck was I going to pull the boat into a slip for the very first time with a 20 kt wind.  I was hopeful my very first time would be with dead calm seas and no wind.  OK to top it off we pull into the Mackinac Island Harbor entrance and radioed to get our slip reservation; and guess what, they didn’t have it.

After exchanging information, it turns out I made the first night reservations at Mackinaw City Harbor where we just came from.   After pleading for a slip they gave us slip 17 (17 is my lucky number).  However I had to pass through a 20 foot entrance to the slip between a sailboat and a 65 foot $4 to 5 million dollar high performance cruiser.  Remember the wind is blowing about 20 kts.  Fortunately we notice the cruiser was preparing to leave.  After waiting for them to leave, I pulled into the fairway and pulled right into the slip like I knew what I was doing.  Our crew of Taylor, Lori, Maggie, and I were jumping up and down on deck with excitement that we made it into the slip.  Then we notice the boat in the slip was watching the whole thing and having a laugh on us.

I have to thank my brother Bob for allowing me to practice on his twin screw boat before leaving California. Without that couple of hours of practice I would have never been able to figure out how to get the boat in the slip.

Before the wind
 

 I think he likes his Dad's Boat






 Glad the wife got to get to Mackinac Island for a shirt!

 Tomorrow Lori and I are taking the boat 56 miles south to Charlevoix. We are going through Grays Reef a very treacherous channel that has claim many boats. I think I know the way through.

The weather is suppose to be better tomorrow (let’s hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment